Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goodbye 2011



(The song doesn't really have much to do with what I am currently writing, but seen as it is what I'm listening to right now, I thought I'd might as well post it too)

I met up with a couple of friends for dinner the day before New Year's Eve to say goodbye to 2011. I have to say it was somewhat different to dinners we usually have, and the reason was because it was the last time we each of us 6 would meet up in 2011, the year where we started to, in my opinion, become individuals. After all, all those vast years of flashbacks and memories of when we all used to be in the same school has now vanished, seen as we hardly see each other at all anymore, let alone don't even live in the same country for some.
Of course there will still be many memories to come, but it just seems unusual to think that what went from knowing every single detail of that person's life, from what they had for breakfast to what they were doing in that exact moment, has just ended up being conversations about studies, really. In my opinion, those little facts are usually more interesting than the big facts, seen as they are the facts that you don't really bother to tell any other person, when in reality, they're the most interesting pieces of information about an individual.
But enough of nonsense, what I'm trying to say here is that 2011 for me has been the year when I have basically started to focus on myself; the year I have started to grow independently. The year where I've had to make my own decisions, get used to new surroundings, and most of all focus on what is to become my future. To be honest it has all been pretty intense.
In some way I am sad of leaving so many memories and feelings behind. Of course, the first days of independence are always hard.Yet some part of me actually quite enjoyed all those intense nights where I had no idea what to do. Little by little it made me realize who I really am, seen as I couldn't really be influenced by anybody else. They're the kind of days you just look back right now and laugh about how stupid you were back then.
So here I am, leaving 2011 in the past, starting 2012 as what seems to be in a good mood, because there are still so many things that I have to live to be able to learn from. It is the year when you start to not care what other people think about, and if they do, they're just living boring lives themselves. It is the year to make mistakes, because after all, those are the moments you remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment